Yoga teachers tell us that their prison classes are the most rewarding that they teach – as well as the hardest.
Teaching yoga in prison isn’t easy. There are many more frustrations and complications to deal with than you would expect in a community class, you may travel many miles to teach and it might take more than a year to get a prison class started. Our yoga teachers all have endless patience and feel a true calling to offer this work.
In our experience, yoga teachers who do well in prison tend to have:
- A teacher’s qualification from a yoga school with a course length of at least two years.
- Taught regularly in “outside” classes for at least two years since qualifying
- Other relevant work experience (e.g. working with young people, social work, drug rehabilitation work)
- A regular practice, including seated meditation
- Attended one or more of the trainings we offer to support and prepare prison yoga teachers
If you’re interested in teaching yoga in prison, please fill in this form and well get back to you. You can also have a look at the training we offer, or get in touch another way.