The Prison Phoenix Trust does not train people to become yoga teachers; we train qualified yoga teachers how to work effectively in prison and other secure conditions. We are grateful for all current and past prison yoga teachers for passing on their experience of what works in prison and what doesn’t.
Our training covers issues that teachers face when working in prison such as:
- Rapport with prisoners, prison officers and staff
- Authority and professional boundaries
- Adapting yoga to meet all needs
- The importance of silent breath-based meditation
- Sex offenders and drug and alcohol rehabilitation
- Current issues affecting prisons and prisoners
- How to start up a class.
There are periodically training days on specific issues such as:
- Keeping control of your prison class
- Teaching young offenders
- Yoga and addiction
- Accrediting your yoga class.
What’s coming up
We will run our next 5-day residential training Teaching Yoga in Prison in 2020.
To book your place on any of these courses please get in touch with Sally, Brent or Victoria on 01865 512521 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You can sign up to hear about future training courses here.